Head of Innovation
My client is a small but rapidly-growing food business with a well-known super-premium brand. They have a range of products across a number of categories and keep quality and innovation at the heart of everything they do.
Reporting into the Marketing Director and managing 2, this role takes responsibility for the strategic direction of their long-term product development. Being a small company you must remain hands-on and commercial as well as strategic and forward-thinking.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Continually improve our product portfolio for competitive advantage; on-going portfolio management and clear recommendations to balance consumer needs, profitability, competitive advantage and retailer demands
- Guardian of product values in line with brand. Working closely with technical team to ensure a tangible product superiority versus competitors
- To follow and enhance the innovation process, incorporating an existing gate process, which includes idea generation, capture, evaluation, development and launch
- To formulate the innovation strategy for UK and potentially international markets
- To construct a 3-year innovation pipeline of new products, and develop these products
- To successfully launch these products/ services, working closely with the communications team and sales to ensure maximum impact in market
- Suppliers: build effective relationships with suppliers to leverage their innovation and development resources for mutual benefit
· 8 years + innovation experience; likely to have been gained in a larger business to ensure understanding of innovation process; maybe find that environment too constraining however
· Successful track record of bringing genuinely new products from ideation to market
· Entrepreneurial spirit and drive needed to work effectively within a young and growing company. Prior start up experience is desirable
· Strong oral and written communication skills coupled with the interpersonal skills needed in a fast paced, team-centred environment.