Head of Fundraising & Communications
Head of Fundraising & Communications
Salary Circa £60,000
Summary of the role:
In the last 10 years, OSUK has diversified its fundraising strategy from being predominantly events focussed to encompassing a full range of income streams. We are now looking for a skilled and dynamic leader to build on these achievements with initial emphasis on maximising the potential of the individual giving streams. This is an unrivalled opportunity to create an integrated income generation & communications strategy and implement the initiatives which deliver it.
The key priorities of the role will be:
- Raising Operation Smile’s income in line with the 3 year Strategic Plan
- Developing Operation Smile’s digital presence to maximise the potential for campaigning and fundraising
- Further developing existing income streams while promoting new income streams at acceptable rates of return on investment
- Leading and developing a talented team and enabling collaborative working across Operation Smile both nationally and internationally
- Increasing Operation Smile’s profile and brand recognition nationally
- Deputising for the CEO, you will have shared responsibility for the organisation’s leadership, management and development.
You will have a track record of successful income generation in excess of £2m and proven expertise in fundraising, covering all segments of individual giving from fundraisers to high net worth supporters. You will manage the charity’s fundraising activities and be responsible for the development and implementation of strategies to achieve income targets and increase support especially utilising digital media. Whilst leading a team of five you will take responsibility for implementing a significant proportion of the fundraising plan including identifying new sources of income.
You will also be experienced in generating income using both traditional methods of fundraising and engaging supporters through online and digital marketing activities.
You understand how to use the full range of marketing and communication disciplines to underpin effective income generation.
A talented leader and motivator, skilled people manager and collaborative management team player, you blend visionary thinking, creativity and pragmatic implementation with real business understanding and commercial acumen. Your proven communication and influencing skills are matched by sound judgement and natural empathy.
You will be well attuned to the changes, opportunities and risks in the fundraising arena for international non-profit organisations and able to transfer ideas and approaches from other sectors. You will share our ambition and have a passion for our work, as well as the skills and the drive to deliver Operation Smile UK’s fundraising goals. If you are excited by this challenge and the opportunity to use your talents and skills to help some of the world’s most disadvantaged children, then we would very much like to hear from you.
Summary of role
To lead the development and implementation of Operation Smile UK’s strategic plan for fundraising, marketing and communications. Initial focus is on maximising OSUK’s Individual Giving income stream through leading a team of fundraisers encompassing direct marketing, events and community fundraisers.
Act as the deputy for the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and make a significant contribution to the overall strategic direction and management of the charity.
- Team of 5 managers and executives
Details of role
- Lead the development and implementation of the national fundraising strategy and business plan for the Individual Giving income streams, with the aim of generating long term sustainable income growth
- Meet agreed targets and to ensure the maximum income generation for activities
- Identify and lead on significant fundraising opportunities
- Ensure the smooth co-ordination of all fundraising activity within the Individual Giving income streams
- Develop a digital strategy to attract donors and supporters and develop new methods of recruiting, retaining and developing existing donors through digital channels.
- Develop a clear and focussed marketing and communication strategy, incorporating digital media, which underpins the fundraising strategy
- Optimise the value of Operation Smile’s brand and safeguard its reputation in fundraising activities
- Keep up-to-date with changes in the legal and regulatory external environment as it impacts upon fundraising and to ensure that the department has in place the necessary policies and procedures
- Achieve income and expenditure budgets, meeting agreed KPI’s
- Manage income streams and expenditure against agreed targets on a monthly basis, reporting to the CEO on actual versus budget
- Seek ways to drive down costs and improve efficiencies
- Ensure high standards of fiscal control and probity
- Manage and motivate the Individual Giving fundraising teams to enable them to reach and exceed their annual fundraising targets
- Ensure all team members have an annual appraisal and that objectives and Personal Development Plans are set for the coming year
- Take an active role as part of the senior management team, ensuring that organisational strategy feeds into operational activity and that OSUK runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as the CEO may from time to time deem to be necessary
- Knowledge of Raisers Edge Database
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Extensive leadership and management capabilities
- Confident in public speaking and handling media relations
- Ability to respond appropriately to unforeseen opportunities and challenges and remain calm under pressure
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a virtual team environment
- Highly organised and self-motivated
To apply, please click the "Apply now" button.
About Operation Smile UK
Since 1982 Operation Smile has changed over 135,000 children’s lives, forever. Working in 42 countries in the developing world, Operation Smile provides free reconstructive surgery to children and young adults with facial deformities, predominantly cleft