Haymarket Media Group has its heart and soul in publishing and media. We are a creative business, with an unrelenting focus on the quality of our products and our people. Our philosophy has always been quite simple – employ the best to produce the best.
From sport to medicine, from technology to motoring, from classical music to marcomms, we are active in consumer, business and customer media, along with exhibitions and live events. We aim to be the perfect company to work for – we have the processes and attitude that ensure quality and consistency, and an entrepreneurial spirit that makes every day rewarding.
And we are international - globalization is opening up the world further, and providing many opportunities for us to continue to grow. We have major offices around the world - New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore and Germany – and many of our titles are truly global brands. www.haymarket.com
We are an experienced team of user experience designers, developers and project managers who deliver and support our digital properties. From WhatCar and Pistonheads to Brand Republic and Campaign, we deliver solutions for market-leading brands across multiple platforms using a variety of technologies such as .net and Drupal.
We have a great opportunity to join a focal team within a major, market-leading company. We are Agile advocates and we operate in an agency style, combining the fast pace and variety of a digital agency with the team spirit and ‘ownership’ of client work.
We are located in 2 sites in West London; Hammersmith and Teddington, with brand focused development teams operating on each.
What you'll do
This is a role for an enthusiastic UI Developer who likes to work with some of the latest technologies while bringing their experience into the team. You will work across the Digital Media Team and be a key developer in getting the ideas from the product owners out the internet door.
With an agile approach to developing code and obsession for great, efficient coding and engineering practices, you will, where necessary:
- Work with the team to estimate tasks and stories
- Build great quality code
- Come up with great ideas and to resolve issues
- Work on Responsive/Desktop/Mobile sites, iPad Apps and technologies like: HTML5, CSS3, LESS/SASS to name a few
- Be able to communicate effectively in a team, and pass on your knowledge to peers and other members of the team
A flavour of recent projects:
PistonHeads is the leading website in the UK for the performance motoring enthusiast and enjoys huge traffic and has a very successful classified business. We spent rather a lot of money on a new classifieds section that totally relies on the quality of the user experience and faithfulness to PH’s brand values.
Medeconomics is a GP business resource providing practical, accessible advice and information on all the important factors affecting the life of a busy general practice. A fully Responsive Platform built site, using the latest and greatest technologies, delivering content quickly across mobiles, tablets and desktop browsers.
WhatCar True MPG
True MPG is a real-world fuel economy test that gives users the average mpg you really can expect to achieve on UK roads. A full UX, design and build process has delivered a truly innovative car buyer service.
What you’ve done:
- A great background in UI development with a proven ability to deliver high-quality work
- Some experience with Responsive/mobile/App based development
- You’ll have broad experience working with highly scalable advanced architectures
- You’ll have worked effectively with cross-functional teams / branches (if required)
- Exposure to dynamic web technologies (such as .NET MVC, PHP, Drupal, Wordpress) would be a distinct advantage as would iOS (iPad/iPhone) experience
- Great communication skills.
Tools of your trade
Some of the things you’ll know…
- Experience using Photoshop/Fireworks/Illustrator
- An understanding of the W3C guidelines, Usability and Accessibility is also essential
- Up to date with cross browser/devices, email client compatibility and cross platform issues
- Good eye for detail and be able to work to tight deadlines
- Understanding or the concept of Information Architecture would also be advantageous.
- Be Agile, know SCRUM and understand stories, INVEST
Some of the things you’ll be pretty adept with…
- Be able to use Visual Studio effectively
- Developing only what you need to build
- Documenting your work
Some other stuff you use regularly…
- Online blogs to know what the latest and next great thing in the development world is
Some nice to haves…
- You should have a good understanding of the whole development process from design through to delivery. You should love building things!
Who are you?
We are all about the people…
- Haymarket stands for quality but is also a challenging and rewarding environment - a can-do attitude is vital
- Fun, energetic and passionate
- Quick learner
- A ‘creative scientist’
- Analytical and able to filter inputs into tangible solutions
- Confident and self-sufficient
How to get the job
The interview process…
- Get through a first interview with the recruitment team.
- Second interview – an interview with the development manager/technical team lead and a short interview with the some of the development team
Don’t forget to…..
- Bring some great work to show off
- Express strong views about our brands online
- Be full of ideas and thoughts about the Interweb
We’ll be pleased to give you….
- Remuneration dependent upon experience
- 25 days a year holiday + an extra day off per year of service
- 9:30am start time.
- Contributory pension
- Life Assurance