Research Manager – Tesco.com
Research Manager – Tesco.com
Welwyn Garden City
Tesco is a great place to work - whether you're planning the layouts of our aisles, sourcing products in Thailand or improving our supply chain in Turkey. We have become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and staff. We believe in treating each other with respect, giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us create value for our customers and earning their loyalty for life.
We are looking to recruit an experienced professional to lead the market research team of two. The position sits within the Tesco.com Insight team and is based at our head office in Welwyn Garden City.
The role has two lines of reporting – a solid line into the Head of Strategic Research for Tesco UK, and a ‘dotted line’ to the Head of Insight for Tesco.com.
Key responsibilities / accountabilities
Responsibilities will include:
- Proactively monitoring innovations and trends in the online grocery sector, and with digital technology as a whole, and keeping stakeholders updated with relevant developments.
- Leading the research programme for Tesco.com to ensure the Leadership teams are in touch with our online customers, their opinions and perceptions across all aspects of our service and how our benchmarks compare.
- Identifying the best research methods to address a wide range of potential issues, and to ensure that all insight drives change.
- Manage research projects from start to finish, including closely managing agencies and ensuring everything comes in to time and on budget
- Setting the customer targets for measuring the business and customer plans; reviewing and communicating against these regularly, highlighting the root cause for exceptions and opportunities to improve.
- Managing the research budget and ensuring the best insight for our investment.
- Managing the relationship with research agencies, invoking change where necessary.
- Managing relationships with stakeholders to ensure they’re fully informed of and engaged in the research and that it always addresses their business issues.
- Ensuring insight is always communicated effectively and in an engaging, memorable way – this should always communicate the ‘insight’, not simply ‘results’ or ‘data’.
- Managing the roles and development of the research team. Direct reports are a Research Manager and a Research Process Lead, who is based in our service centre in India.
- Supporting and advising our international colleagues on best practice in research to meet the needs of our many growing online businesses.
Key Competencies / Behaviours
- A keen interest in digital technology, including online shopping, mobile internet & apps etc
- Ability to think creatively and to find innovative solutions to research/insight issues.
- Ability to see beyond the surface and extract meaningful and motivating insight from attitudinal and behavioural data.
- Liaising and influencing at all levels of management, both internally and externally. This person should communicate with credibility and clarity.
- A tenacious ‘can do, will do’ mentality. Whilst being willing to challenge the status quo, this person will also work closely with other team members and must be able to bring people with them.
- Drive to show regular improvement both personally and from others.
Key Skills/ Experience and Qualifications required
- Solid market research experience, either client or agency side
- Experience in the online retail sector is desirable.
- Experience of managing a wide range of research methodologies - both qualitative and quantitative research, online and offline, and across the whole spectrum of insight including marketing comms, barriers & motivations, the customer journey, drivers of loyalty and lapsing and concept testing. Methods that candidates should be familiar with include
- Trend monitoring
- Ideation & co-creation
- Concept testing
- Online user experience testing
- Online communities
- Online qualitative methods
- Observational / ethnographic research
- And also more traditional methods, such as quantitative surveys and qualitative research.
- Experience managing a wide range of senior stakeholders.
- Experience of managing several projects simultaneously and working to tight deadlines.
- Experience of budget management and resource allocation preferable.
- Line management experience would be advantageous.