Head of Insight
Between now and 2020 all households in Great Britain, and approximately two million small businesses, will receive smart meter technology that will entirely transform the way we all use energy.
Rolling out this technology is the biggest programme of national infrastructure modernisation in recent memory which will give customers the ability to gain better control of their energy usage and costs and pave the way to a smarter, more energy efficient future.
The Smart Meter Central Delivery Body is a new, independent organisation responsible for the design and delivery of a major national engagement campaign that will ensure that people understand and are excited by the transformation to come.
Our challenge is to engage the whole of Britain with this new technology and to tell a compelling story about its immediate and long-term benefits against a back drop of immense consumer frustration, suspicion and anger within the energy sector.
We're a small, dynamic team based in King's Cross. We have an exciting mission, a start-up feel and love what we do.
We have a huge and exciting public engagement task at our hands. Success means developing a detailed knowledge of British households, their lives and attitudes to energy and new technology and exploring how these may change in the future. We need to interpret multiple streams of insight and data to help us understand where to focus our marketing and stakeholder communication activity and to evaluate our effectiveness. As such, the Head of Insight will perform an absolutely mission-critical role at the heart of our organisation.
You will lead on defining, commissioning and interpreting all research, insight and data across our organisation, including:
- Consumer research
- Marketing effectiveness tracking: working with our agency partners, you will oversee the development of a ‘marketing smart meter’ dashboard of key marketing information
- Third party research (for example with academic institutions, thinks tanks)
Your work will inform our strategy and underpin our decisions. You will design and manage a programme of research that we commission and be responsible for review and integration of third party data and research into our insight mix.
The Head of Insight will report to the Director of Marketing, but will be expected to also have a close working relationship with the Director of Communications, as the range of research and insight outputs will be expected to support both marketing and communication activities.
- Design and commission a programme of consumer research activity to inform our strategy and tactical application
- Design and commission a programme of research that supports the organisation’s engagement with stakeholder, political and opinion former audiences
- Build specific research activity to inform how we can effectively support hard to reach audiences and audiences with multiple complex needs
- Oversee our biannual tracker research of attitudes across the British population
- Be responsible for peer review of third party research and insight and ensure that relevant findings are integrated into our planning
- Design a data management system that draws in data from multiple internal and third party sources and ensure that this data is fully integrated into our marketing planning and evaluation
- Work with our internal teams and partner organisations to design a comprehensive marketing effectiveness evaluation system and ensure that this informs our strategic and tactical decisions
- Work with our internal teams and partner organisations to produce a real-time ‘marketing smart meter’ dashboard for key marketing metrics
- Ensure that all research, insight and data findings are communicated internally in a clear, concise and articulate way
- Design and manage an efficient but comprehensive programme of stakeholder insight, which informs the continued effectiveness of our public engagement activity
- Ensure that our research and insight activity is properly supported or delivered by relevant agency, academic or consumer/voluntary organisations
- Working with the Communications Team to publish research findings to media and external stakeholder audiences where appropriate
Skills and competencies
- You will be able to demonstrate that you have a genuine passion for working in a creative and busy marketing environment with senior level experience working in a relevant marketing research, insight or data role
- You will have exceptional communications skills, with the ability to interpret complex information and distil it into clear, concise and easily understandable formats
- You’ll be a strategic thinker, with a sound understanding of how insight informs, shapes and underpins effective marketing planning
- You will be creative and innovative in your approach to insight, able to think laterally and design compelling insight systems
- You’ll embrace digital technology as a highly effective mechanism to collect, interpret and communicate insight
To find out more about us, please visit: http://www.smart-meter.org.uk/
How to apply
Please email your CV and a covering to the following address by 6pm on Thursday 29th May 2014:
In your covering letter, we’d love to get a good sense of who you are, how you meet the skills/competencies listed above and why you’re interested in joining our team!
In the meantime, you can find further information about us here:
We look forward to hearing from you.